Gettext Domains (was Re: [xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Sun Feb 20 15:49:28 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:19, Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> Here are a few comments about the PO Representation Guide:
>
> 1.3. Domain
>

>         Gettext manual does not mention domains in the description of PO
>         format. See
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext_9.html#SEC9
>
>         If there is another authoritative description of PO file format,
>         it should be mentioned in the guide.
>
>         Grouping related translation units is OK, but there must be some
>         standard or specification to follow for that.

As Tim pointed out in an earlier thread, there doesn't exist a formal
specification for the PO file format. The GNU Gettext manual doesn't cover all
aspects of GNU Gettext, and for some functions, you need to rely on the
'--help' output of the Gettext tools as well as even the source code
descriptions.

What I believe the bottom line is: We follow the GNU Gettext implementation as
closely as possible, to ensure as much as possible interoperability with PO
files generated by this toolkit.

But I agree with you, we need to add references for all this :) Will try and
make a list of sources.

cheers,
asgeir