1.4.1.4 Flag (was Re: [xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Sun Feb 20 16:02:21 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:19, Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> Here are a few comments about the PO Representation Guide:
>
> 1.4.1.4. Flag
>

>         Flags for "c-format" or other formats should be stored in the
>         XLIFF file, perhaps in a <prop> element. They are needed to
>         rebuild the flag line of the translated document. The presence
>         or absence of the fuzzy flag in the translated document should
>         be determined from the status of the translation.

The <prop> element is deprecated in XLIFF 1.1, in favour of custom namespace
elements.

How do we store this? From what I see we can:

1) Ignore it in the XLIFF file and add it to the skeleton. With this approach
translators have no way of knowing it's a x-format style translation unit.

2) Wrap parameters in e.g. <it> tags with 'ctype' attribute set to
guide-defined values (e.g. x-c-param, x-php-param). With this approach, the
backconversion filter can extract this logic from the 'ctype' attribute.

3) Add custom-namespace element.

I'm more in favour of option 2, as option 3 requires customized tools.

cheers,
asgeir