1.4.1.4 Flag (was Re: [xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header)

Rodolfo M. Raya rodolfo at heartsome.net
Sun Feb 20 17:05:54 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 10:02 +1000, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

Hi,

> The <prop> element is deprecated in XLIFF 1.1, in favour of custom namespace
> elements.

The XLIFF specification is contradictory. Section 2.5 deals with
extensibility and says:

        At times, it may be useful to extend the set of information
        available in an XLIFF document by inserting constructs defined
        in various other XML vocabularies. You can add non-XLIFF
        elements, as well as attributes and attribute values. Adding
        elements and attributes use the namespace mechanism [XML Names].
        Adding attribute values generally involves preceding the value
        by an "x-" (e.g. <context context-type='x-for-engineers'>).

        Although XLIFF offers this extensibility mechanism, in order to
        avoid a nimiety of information and increase interoperability
        between tools, it is strongly recommended to use XLIFF
        capabilities whenever possible, rather than to create non-
        standard user-defined elements or attributes.

To me, the second paragraph means:

        We have deprecated xxx element/attribute in favor of custom
        namespaces, but as we don't know how to deal with the
        interoperability problems generated by using custom namespaces,
        we strongly recommend you to use the elements/attributes
        already available.

Regards,
Rodolfo
--