[xliff-tools] Re: XLIFF detailed questions

Martin Wunderlich martin_wu at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 10:14:51 PST 2006

Hi Mike, Yves, and Asgeir,

Thanks a lot for your replies! You've certainly helped to clear up a
few things. I should have looked at the schema beforehand. It's just
that on a previous occasion I found the schema to be not a 100%
accurate reflection of the XLIFF standard.

Just a few details:

>> 1.
>> Under header-glossary a "glossary description" as contents for this
>> element. Is this to be understood as a simple text node?

> The contents of the the glossary is either an <internal-file> or an
> <external-file> element.  The external-file element is strictly
> defined, whereas the internal-file element isn't, so I wouldn't
> imagine that it is necessarily safe to assume that this will only
> ever contain text nodes.

This means that the tool that is processing the XLIFF file
would have to know something about the source or the format of the
glossary in order to make use of this. And otherwise just ignore?

In my question, I was actually referring to this section in the specs. Under
<glossary> it says:
"Contents: The glossary description and either exactly one <internal-file> or
one <external-file> element."

So, the <glossary> node has two childres: the description and the file
element (internal or external). I'm wondering what this "glossary
description" might be.

>> 3.
>> There are several elements, e.g. <tool>, which may contain "Zero, one
>> or more non-XLIFF elements." What are these elements and how are they
>> to be handled?

> The tool element defines a tool in some detail.  Other elements can
> then reference that information simply by providing the id.  It saves
> those other elements having to provide repetitive information in a
> cluttered way.

> Phase works in a similar way - describes information about a workflow
> phase, then allows that information to be referenced by other
> elements simply by providing the name - almost like a short-hand.

>     Is that what you meant by "What are these elements"?  Or have I
> gone off on a tangent?

Well, I was actually wondering about the exact nature of these
non-XLIFF elements. What are they used for and where do they come
from?

All the best,

Martin