X server testing

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jun 22 23:15:39 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:49:28PM -0400, Thomas Jaeger wrote:
> Here's another list of issues I've noticed over the past few weeks and
> questions that have come up.

[shortened, out of order]

> * The server crashes (Xext/xtest.c, line 386) when a virtual XTest is
> detached due to a device grab and a client tries to send an event
> through that device.  Similarly, removing a master device whose XTest
> device is floated due to a grab will result in a crash.

fixed with these two patches
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001186.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001187.html

> * A related question is what the best way to detect virtual XTest
> devices is.  I'm currently checking whether the device name ends in
> "Xtst pointer", which seems slightly hackish, but should be fine as long
> as the servers keeps using a predictable name for the device.

best way is to introduce a property that labels the device as such. That's
what properties are for after all.
See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001188.html

> * set_valuators (in dix/getevents.c) seems fishy to me, should this be
> i instead of first_valuator + i?

fixed as 96706c24bd57fbd9b11e5bd5e38d05d81b90aebe

> * My tablet's valuators (which should be absolute) are reported as
> having mode 3 (as opposed to XIModeAbsolute == 1 or XIModeRelative ==
> 0), which causes xinput to list them as relative devices.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, at least not with my test devices
from git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/testdevices.git
Anything special about your tablet? Can you provide me with a test device
that replicates this issue?

Cheers,
  Peter