X server testing

Thomas Jaeger thjaeger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:48:10 PDT 2009

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:49:28PM -0400, Thomas Jaeger wrote:
>> Here's another list of issues I've noticed over the past few weeks and
>> questions that have come up.
>
> [shortened, out of order]
>
>> * The server crashes (Xext/xtest.c, line 386) when a virtual XTest is
>> detached due to a device grab and a client tries to send an event
>> through that device.  Similarly, removing a master device whose XTest
>> device is floated due to a grab will result in a crash.
>
> fixed with these two patches
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001186.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001187.html
>
>> * A related question is what the best way to detect virtual XTest
>> devices is.  I'm currently checking whether the device name ends in
>> "Xtst pointer", which seems slightly hackish, but should be fine as long
>> as the servers keeps using a predictable name for the device.
>
> best way is to introduce a property that labels the device as such. That's
> what properties are for after all.
> See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001188.html

Thanks, I can confirm that these patches all work as expected.

>> * My tablet's valuators (which should be absolute) are reported as
>> having mode 3 (as opposed to XIModeAbsolute == 1 or XIModeRelative ==
>> 0), which causes xinput to list them as relative devices.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce this, at least not with my test devices
> from git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/testdevices.git
> Anything special about your tablet? Can you provide me with a test device
> that replicates this issue?

Strange, the "wacom" test device exhibits the problem for me, even
though the "abs" device is fine (the "absrel" device doesn't list the
absolute valuators).  This might well be a bug in the wacom driver.

⎜   ↳ Wacom Intuos3 4x6                       	id=16	[slave  pointer  (2)]
	Reporting 8 classes:
		Class originated from: 16
		Buttons supported: 7
		Button labels: Button Left Button Middle Button Right Button Wheel Up
Button Wheel Down Button Horiz Wheel Left Button Horiz Wheel Right
		Button state:
		Class originated from: 16
		Keycodes supported: 248
		Class originated from: 16