xserver: Branch 'master' - 15 commits

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Mar 17 10:58:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 08:42 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> The casts of function returns to (void) were typically to silence
> warnings from lint and similar source checkers that you were ignoring
> the return values from the function, and really should be doing some
> error checking there.   Not sure if those warnings are issued by
> any of the source checkers currently used other than lint (gcc -Wall,
> sparse, and Coverity are the other three I know of in use).

gcc will only issue warnings for these cases for functions declared with
__attribute__((warn_unused_result)).  A handful of libc functions are so
marked.

Given how inconsistently we do the (void) casts within the server, I
think it's probably better to just not do them, and leave the paranoia
checks to the times when we're being paranoid about chasing down some
bug.

- ajax