Repo Tags

Mon Nov 2 08:18:48 PST 2009

Michael Witten wrote:
> From what I can tell, releases are made by compiling a huge list of
> `module' version numbers in the xorg/util/modular repo's
> module-lists.txt file:
>
>     http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/module-list.txt
>
> The xorg/util/modular repo has tags like XORG-7_5 for each official release.

Yep - that's what's written in our release process instructions at:
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ReleaseHOWTO

> It would be very useful if each `module' repo were also to have tags
> that reflect which of its revisions is included in which xorg
> releases. This seems to have been the policy at one point; for
> instance, the xf86-input-evdev repo lists tag XORG-7_1, but no such
> tag exists for later xorg releases.
>
> Specifically, this kind of policy would (from what I can tell) allow
> one to construct, say, `an XORG-7_5 environment' just by checking out
> the XORG-7_5 tag in each relevant `module' repo.

That probably wouldn't be too hard to automate given the scripts I already
wrote to map modules & tags to the release versions, but I don't think I'll
have time to get to it soon.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com