New development model check-in.

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Nov 18 05:30:53 PST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:20:48PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 23:01 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:38:01AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > > Are there at least any indications that we're getting any tangible
> > > benefits from this increased workload?
> >
> > You don't think it's a little early to tell? I mean, we're only, what,
> > six weeks in? Less?
>
> It's already clear that it's much harder to get even relatively
> straightforward stuff in, and creates more work for everybody. Nobody's
> answered my question why that would be a good idea for a project which
> is supposedly suffering from lack of manpower.

I don't think that's necessarily true in areas that aren't EXA;
certainly, no-one else has complained, and the patch flow from both
regular and one-off contributors seems to be very similar to what it was
before the change.

I can't speak for Keith, but I would've assumed that as a major
subsystem responsible for some inordinately large percentage of commits
these days, that EXA would have (at least) one tree where one could pull
from to obtain the latest reviewed and mergeable EXA commits.  It makes
everyone's lives a lot easier -- including yours, because you don't have
to patchbomb the list and follow up doggedly on the patchbombs.  One
mail ('please pull the EXA tree') would suffice.

Cheers,
Daniel