Smooth scrolling

Éric Piel E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl
Wed Apr 7 04:40:34 PDT 2010

On 07/04/10 02:46, Max Schwarz wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>> The problem I see is that it's really degrees or cycles on a wheel, or
>> some distance on more freaky devices (e.g. pad on mouse). Maybe it's
>> preferable to add some (user-overrideable) axis information which
>> toolkits may use to ultimately do something sensible.
>
> Well the way it is now the driver maintainers decide how often they sent the
> scroll button presses. I thought I would keep it that way and let them decide
> how many pixels to scroll. Of course the user would have to be able to change
> that setting.
> Anything else would create problems in interpretation later on. For example,
> equal distances on small and huge touchpads could mean very different amounts
> of pixels to scroll.
> In addition to that, users should be able to change the amount of scrolling on
> a per-device basis, so the conversion should be made in driver-space in my
> opinion.
Hi,
Still there should be an _official_ value for how much an old-fashion
click is worth in the new unit. This is important for the mice with
normal (clicky) wheel and any other device which really sends button
events. The apps should keep moving 3 lines for each click (or do any
other action just once, like going to the next image, incrementing a
number by one...).

Is the new unit expressed as float or int? If it's in float, a click
should worth 1. Otherwise, it could be something like 100.

Eric