Smooth scrolling

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Wed Apr 7 05:32:37 PDT 2010

Am 07.04.2010 13:40, schrieb Éric Piel:
> Hi,
> Still there should be an _official_ value for how much an old-fashion
> click is worth in the new unit. This is important for the mice with
> normal (clicky) wheel and any other device which really sends button
> events. The apps should keep moving 3 lines for each click (or do any
> other action just once, like going to the next image, incrementing a
> number by one...).
Absolutely. I have a mouse whose wheel can be clicky or continuous
(though I have no indication this matters much). Inevitably, cliky and
continuous scroll are going to coexist in HW as well as the X protocol,
so there should be corresponding logic for both cases, with apps free to
choose.

> Is the new unit expressed as float or int? If it's in float, a click
> should worth 1. Otherwise, it could be something like 100.
AFAIK Valuators are ints; 100 sounds sensible to me. As said, an input
device property might be fine for this.

Cheers,

Simon