Merged proto package

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Apr 13 08:01:11 PDT 2010

Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> X is a client server architecture, and the proto headers define the
> protocol that exists between the clients (through libraries usually) and
> the xserver. Both the xserver and the clients depend on these protocol
> headers, but not all of those clients depend on the full range of x
> protocol extensions, especially not on the few very actively moving
> parts of those protocol extensions. Actually, what you will see is that
> none of the clients require the full range of proto headers.

And won't an increasing number of clients require none of the current xproto
headers as they port to XCB?

If the server was moved to xcb protocol definitions (like we'd all like to see
so we can stop having every extension have it's own handwritten protocol
marshalling with the same byte swapping and integer overflow bugs in each),
would we then be merging all the xcb modules into the 'one module that the
server depends on' as well?

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com