Xv to pixmaps (was Xv Xdbe combination)

Matthew Fincham matthewf at cat.co.za
Fri Apr 16 06:37:25 PDT 2010

On 14-04-10 12:12, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Generally speaking, find all the relevant places which assume the
> drawable is a window, and fix them up to handle pixmaps as well. Note
> that there may be some in the drivers as well.
>
>> I am happy to do it and test it, but I am going to need some guidance (!).
>>
> I'll do what I can, but please keep it on the list so others can
> benefit / chime in.
>
> Note that apparently clients won't be able to query if an adaptor
> supports pixmaps, the only way will be to try it and handle the protocol
> error if it fails. But I think this could still be a useful feature.

I have made a first attempt at modifying Xv to support writing to
pixmaps. While I can see the Intel driver is receiving a pixmap drawable
and apparently writing to it, I see nothing on the screen. The following
is a list of the files that have been modified:

Xorg (1.3.0)
hw/xfree86/common/xf86xvpriv.h
hw/xfree86/common/xf86xv.c

Intel (2.4.1)
i830_video.c

What is the best way for others to review these changes, and offer
suggestions?

Many thanks
Matthew Fincham