Xv to pixmaps (was Xv Xdbe combination)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Apr 16 07:02:08 PDT 2010

On Fre, 2010-04-16 at 15:37 +0200, Matthew Fincham wrote:
> On 14-04-10 12:12, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > Generally speaking, find all the relevant places which assume the
> > drawable is a window, and fix them up to handle pixmaps as well. Note
> > that there may be some in the drivers as well.
> >
> >> I am happy to do it and test it, but I am going to need some guidance (!).
> >>
> > I'll do what I can, but please keep it on the list so others can
> > benefit / chime in.
> >
> > Note that apparently clients won't be able to query if an adaptor
> > supports pixmaps, the only way will be to try it and handle the protocol
> > error if it fails. But I think this could still be a useful feature.
> >
> I have made a first attempt at modifying Xv to support writing to
> pixmaps.

Excellent! Sorry for not getting around to replying to your private
query in the meantime, though I was serious about keeping it on the
list. :)

> While I can see the Intel driver is receiving a pixmap drawable
> and apparently writing to it, I see nothing on the screen.

(How) Are you copying the pixmap contents to a visible window? Pixmaps
are offscreen by definition.

> The following is a list of the files that have been modified:
>
> Xorg (1.3.0)
> hw/xfree86/common/xf86xvpriv.h
> hw/xfree86/common/xf86xv.c
>
> Intel (2.4.1)
> i830_video.c
>
> What is the best way for others to review these changes, and offer
> suggestions?

Post patches, ideally with git send-email but more importantly generated
by git format-patch. Or if you didn't start from Git checkouts, good old
plain diff -u is still better than nothing.