Xv to pixmaps (was Xv Xdbe combination)

Matthew Fincham matthewf at cat.co.za
Sun Apr 18 22:56:35 PDT 2010

On 16-04-10 16:02, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>> While I can see the Intel driver is receiving a pixmap drawable
>> and apparently writing to it, I see nothing on the screen.
>>
> (How) Are you copying the pixmap contents to a visible window? Pixmaps
> are offscreen by definition.

I am writing a Qt application.
I have QPixmap - which effectively has a handle to a X pixmap - that
gets written to and blitted to the screen.
I am confident this section is fine. If the pixmap is written to without
using Xv then the contents of the pixmap are correctly rendered on the
screen.
>> The following is a list of the files that have been modified:
>>
>> Xorg (1.3.0)
>> hw/xfree86/common/xf86xvpriv.h
>> hw/xfree86/common/xf86xv.c
>>
>> Intel (2.4.1)
>> i830_video.c
>>
>> What is the best way for others to review these changes, and offer
>> suggestions?
>>
> Post patches, ideally with git send-email but more importantly generated
> by git format-patch. Or if you didn't start from Git checkouts, good old
> plain diff -u is still better than nothing.

I have attached a tgz with a number of files in:

  - .diff files are the "diff -u"'s of the modified files
  - Xorg.0.log is a snippet of the log showing some debug logs
  - some source files

I have included the Xorg log and some of the source files because the
changes included *lots* of logs so that I could trace the execution path
- this my first look at the X server code, so I am still feeling my way.
Anyway, I thought the logs would be instructive, so they have been
included, and it might be easier to read the diff's with the modifed
source  (Once/if we get this working I can submit a cleaned up patch).

One unexpected thing I found was that the (x,y) of the drawable, when it
was a pixmap, was not (0,0) but an apparently random number. This may
point to a problem with what I have done, but it is worked around (see
xf86xv.c:1819).

Thanks again for the time taken to look at this.

Matthew