Live builds (was: Merged proto package)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:16:22 PDT 2010

On 18 April 2010 17:21, Joel Feiner <jafeiner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or you could use build.sh or jhbuild or moral equivalent.  For testing, I
> have an entire X system checked out and use jhbuild to update it.  It also
> automatically saves your work (via git stash) so you can deal with merge
> conflicts later.  You also don't have to worry about hunting for
> dependencies and configuring those individually and manually.
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions
> It's non-trivial, but not terribly complex to set up.  And once it's set up,
> you can pretty much forget about most of what's on that page.  You just run
> jhbuild -f modular-buildrc build xserver or whatever and you're good to go.

I spent a little while playing with jhbuild under various operating
systems a while ago. Once jhbuild is installed and working it's
fantastic, but setting it up is an a*se and a half. And *no-one* seems
to package it.

Please add to the build instructions on the wiki page for other
distros :-) I never could get it working on FreeBSD or Debian squeeze

- d.