Live builds (was: Merged proto package)

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Wed Apr 21 05:18:11 PDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:37:51 +0200
Dirk Wallenstein <halsmit at t-online.de> wrote:

> Well, I don't want to challenge the tinderbox, I'm just pondering how
> the whole module-set could be augmented by some functions that are
> located a bit above git. And it needn't be full-fledged as I was saying.
> I mean, ..., full-fledged would probably constitute of a pedestal with a
> monitor, some buttons that select modules, and a big lever mounted on
> the side that starts build.sh.
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk

I'm not shure I understand what you mean: Some kind of program
where you can chose:

[x] X-Server
	video drivers
		[x] intel driver
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
		[ ] radeon driver
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
		[ ] ...
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
 	input drivers
		[x] evdev
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
		[ ] kbd
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
		[ ] mouse
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
	extensions
		[x] ...
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
		[ ] ...
			[x] master
			[ ] last tagged version
			[ ] X11R6
[x] xdm
	[x] master
	[ ] last tagged version
	[ ] X11R6
[x] xterm
	[x] master
	[ ] last tagged version
	[ ] X11R6
[ ] ...
	[x] master
	[ ] last tagged version
	[ ] X11R6

and which automagically selects all necessary protocols, extensions,
fonts, and whatnot to make it work with your selections and after that
you just start building and it fetches everything and compiles and so
on... it probably could let you select between the tagged versions...

i don't now if that is feasible right now,  as i'm just a user :)
but i would definitely find it kind of cool...

cheers,
Flo