[PULL] linuxdoc, other build fixes

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Apr 27 07:58:09 PDT 2010

Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> The root cause is simple: not all platforms have the tools to generate
> the docs. There maybe a solution: unlike executable code, docs do not
> need to be built on all platforms. A "doc only" tarball could be
> produced and posted like any other package.

The long term solution we've desired for other reasons is to reduce the
number of documentation formats we use and tools we require.   We've long
ago said (at least informally) that we consider LinuxDoc deprecated and
that it's still in our tree only because no one has had the time to translate
those documents to DocBook.   When X.Org first started we had planned on
standardizing on DocBook/XML, though more recently there have been suggestions
toward standardizing on something more user friendly like AsciiDoc that can
be translated to DocBook and thus output the desired end results (.txt, .html,
.pdf) via the same tools.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com