[PULL] linuxdoc, other build fixes

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 27 08:46:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 07:58 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> > The root cause is simple: not all platforms have the tools to generate
> > the docs. There maybe a solution: unlike executable code, docs do not
> > need to be built on all platforms. A "doc only" tarball could be
> > produced and posted like any other package.
>
> The long term solution we've desired for other reasons is to reduce the
> number of documentation formats we use and tools we require.   We've long
> ago said (at least informally) that we consider LinuxDoc deprecated and
> that it's still in our tree only because no one has had the time to translate
> those documents to DocBook.   When X.Org first started we had planned on
> standardizing on DocBook/XML, though more recently there have been suggestions
> toward standardizing on something more user friendly like AsciiDoc that can
> be translated to DocBook and thus output the desired end results (.txt, .html,
> .pdf) via the same tools.

As long as the tools are available on all platforms. This isn't the case
for xmlto or doxygen or even perhaps for asciidoc. The discussion right
now is on Linuxdoc, but the same problem exists in every package where
we distribute generated files. I think too much effort goes into
maintaining this workaround. I have always seen docs being built
separately.

I meant to ask this for a while, but wouldn't the "Open Document Format
for Office Applications" be a good choice? The converter docbook2odf
would the job, according to the marketing brochure.