Using Xephyr in OLPC's XO

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:25:28 PDT 2010

Hi Matthew, X/Xephyr developers,

I am putting the final touches on a special configuration for OLPC's
XO that uses Xephyr. First of all THANK YOU for Xephyr -- Sugar
desktop development (ab)uses it lots -- but we hadn't until now
considered shipping it.

We are actually using Xephyr to workaround what I suspect is a bug in
X.org -- X won't have a Virtual that is smaller than your Display[0].
But it works well so far.

Help is welcome in optimising the options we use. Right now I am
wrestlying with keyboard mapping (with and without -kb the mapping is
imperfect) and overall performance is passable-but-not-good. The
performance aspect probably has various factors -- we are using Xephyr
in a dual-head setup between two devices: via and sisusb. But
streamlining Xephyr can only help.

cheers,

martin
0 - http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-July/050670.html