Using Xephyr in OLPC's XO

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Aug 6 07:32:14 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 17:25 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Hi Matthew, X/Xephyr developers,
>
> I am putting the final touches on a special configuration for OLPC's
> XO that uses Xephyr. First of all THANK YOU for Xephyr -- Sugar
> desktop development (ab)uses it lots -- but we hadn't until now
> considered shipping it.
>
> We are actually using Xephyr to workaround what I suspect is a bug in
> X.org -- X won't have a Virtual that is smaller than your Display[0].
> But it works well so far.

X does actually (kind of) have this in the internal representation of a
mode.  The BlankStart and BlankEnd bits of a DisplayModeRec are for
describing the border.  Naturally we don't provide you any way of
getting to that from xorg.conf, and most drivers just ignore it.

But in most drivers we expose this as panel fitting modes.  There's
usually a RANDR output property for it, but it's not something that core
X has any knowledge of, it's a driver feature.

In your particular case, the magic word you're looking for is probably
VG_MODEFLAG_CENTERED.

- ajax