Janitor ideas

Mart Raudsepp leio at gentoo.org
Sat Jul 3 21:00:25 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 20:50 -0700, Jesse Adkins wrote:
> I've noticed a few things while poking around Xorg lately. Would
> patches to fix the following things be of use (and where should I send
> them?)

You can probably send them right here to this list for review. Other
janitorial ideas might exist in bugzilla with the "janitor" keyword.
It'd probably be nice to file the janitorial possibilities you notice
and don't patch yourself to bugzilla with that keyword attached, as well
(e.g, when I want to dabble in xserver/libs land instead of just
driver-land).

>  * Lots of X libraries still use Xmalloc and others, instead of the
> regular stdlib functions (despite the defines in Xserver now
> referencing the stdlib functions).

I believe there are ongoing efforts in this area. Those working on that
will hopefully comment about that in more detail, or you can check some
of the latest months archives.

>  * I still see some xorgcvs and XFree86 cvs tags on various files in
> different libraries.

I bet patches to remove those would be Acked :)

>  * xserver itself still has a couple of references to Xcalloc lying
> around.

Same deal as with Xmalloc :)

>  * Changing constructs like '#if x' to '#ifdef x' or 'if !x' to
> '#ifndef x'

These are not equal checks. #ifdef x evaluates to true, while #if x
might not (if the definition has a value of 0), etc.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp