Janitor ideas

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jul 4 02:43:12 PDT 2010

On 4/07/10 15:21 , Jesse Adkins wrote:
>> Yes, various people have been slowly cleaning them out as we touch
> libraries/apps that have them, but there's been no organized effort
> to methodically purge them.
> Sounds like something I can do.

I'd much rather see you spend time on something useful.
CVS tags don't hurt anyone and if you're having a day where your brain
just doesn't want to get into gear (although or possibly because you've
drowned it in coffee :) then those patches are fine.

Any other day I'd rather you use your spare cycles for technical
improvement. It benefits you (you learn the code, you get better at
programming) and everyone else (better technical product). Don't
undersell yourself, I'm sure you can do better than just search/replace.

>> Those have
> different meanings and semantics, so changing them is not necessarily
> the correct thing to do.   Do you have specific
> examples?
> None,
> actually. I've just seen '#if x' instead of '#ifdef x' in a few places.
> It's probably not a good idea to get into, especially since I'm still
> new to X.

many of these are for conditional compiles. we've got plenty of
#if USE_FEATURE
blah();
#endif

if USE_FEATURE isn't defined, then that part isn't compiled and the
library/server/driver builds without $FEATURE. They're not the same as
#ifdef, though they can sometimes used interchangebly - provided you
know when.

Cheers,
   Peter