[RFC] xserver: Masked valuators, DIDs, and ABS_MT_SLOT

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Mon Jul 5 18:15:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 11:04 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 06:36:18PM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> >       Add extra functions for masked valuator input API
>
> yes, but no :)
> idea is right, implementation needs work. Please send this as a patch for
> better comments. Most notably, you don't need GetPointerEventsM, just change GPE to take
> the mask bits and fix up the callers in the DDXs.

I saw GPE is referenced in /usr/include/xorg/input.h, so I was afraid to
modify its prototype. I certainly can change it though.

<snip>
> >       Add atom name for ABS_MT_SLOT properties
>
> I'm not sure at all about this. I was hoping to abstract the slots so we
> don't need to expose thos to the clients.

Given the approach that I have been taking, we have to expose the slot
number to the clients. If you only send one touch data point per event,
the client needs to know about its tracking data. The easiest way to do
this is to just pass the ABS_MT_SLOT property from the kernel.

-- Chase