XDS2010 talks will be recorded?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jul 25 15:56:40 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:40:17PM +0800, Matt Dew wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Alan Coopersmith
> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> > Matt Dew wrote:
> >> According to http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDS2010/Program
> >> there are currently 7 talks, though I don't know how many concurrent
> >> events there are.  Do you need any help?
> >
> > There will have to be a lot more than 7 talks before we get concurrent
> > events.
> >
> >> Will presenters' slides be available as well?   Or could we get copies
> >> we can put on Xorg's wiki?
> >
> > We've asked presenters to put slides on the wiki in the past when they
> > have them - you should find links in the past XDS pages.
> >

> Hi Alan,
>   On the concurrent events I was also thinking of the lightening talks
> and BOF sessions as well.  I've never been to a XDS so I don't know
> how those run (so I might be talking out of my butt here. :) )
>
> I've found a few links scattered through the past XDS pages but not
> many; the exception being 2007. Lots of links under XDS2007/Program!!!
> Very nice!!

fwiw, XDS/XDC are quite different to other conferences I've been to. For
once, everyone knows everyone (well, more or less). That makes the
conference much less formal and more ad-hoc. The talks are interesting but
often enough what is being talked about is already known by the people in
the room.

This is quite different to academic conferences where new results are
presented or conferences like LCA where you present to an audience
unfamiliar with your work. I ran into that the first time I attended XDC,
expecting a much more formal and academic-style setup, certainly not the
case.

There's certainly a perceived lack of formal organisation but things just
tend to happen regardless. It's not unusual for a talk to descend into a
design discussion. And like at any conference, the talks in the bars at
night are as important as the talks during the day :)

Cheers,
  Peter