[PULL] input fixes for 1.8

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:31:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:22:35 -0700, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess I'd like to
>> see udev as the default now instead of waiting for the next xserver
>> series.
>
> udev appears to work for me at least now, with nothing other than
> the trivial udev config file that Peter posted as a patch to the evdev
> driver.
>
> And, given that most distros will be shipping with udev turned on, it
> seems only sensible to have that be the default for 1.8 as well.
>
> I think what I want at this point is a patch to the X server that
> installs suitable udev config files as needed; having it be a part of
> the evdev driver leaves users in the fine position of installing a new X
> server and having things break, so it seems sensible to have the needed
> config file land in the module which actually requires it to work.

They need to build and install a new evdev driver anyway for 1.8 since
the ABI bumped. And this rule will fail if they haven't installed the
evdev driver. I really think these would be better to stay with the
drivers. Do you also want the synaptics touchpad catcall here, too?

> Here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-evdev.conf file:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>        Identifier "evdev-catchall"
>        Driver "evdev"
>        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
> EndSection
>
> I heard a couple of people suggesting that this be renamed to a higher
> number so that you could get files read before it. Let's try to get this
> resolved today or tomorrow; we're supposed to ship this thing in a
> couple of days.

Peter has an updated patch for evdev. As far as I'm concerned, it's
good, but I guess we need to settle whether this is in the server or
the driver.

--
Dan