[PULL] input fixes for 1.8

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 31 09:32:02 PDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:31:16 -0700, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> They need to build and install a new evdev driver anyway for 1.8 since
> the ABI bumped. And this rule will fail if they haven't installed the
> evdev driver. I really think these would be better to stay with the
> drivers. Do you also want the synaptics touchpad catcall here, too?

Does the existing released evdev driver work with the new server if
recompiled? If not, we must release the evdev driver before the server
(and ensure that it works across server versions). If it does work, then
we should stick the xorg.conf fragments in the X server as the evdev
driver would otherwise need to be released before or at the same time as
the X server. We don't get to ship an X server that depends on
unreleased input drivers.

> Peter has an updated patch for evdev. As far as I'm concerned, it's
> good, but I guess we need to settle whether this is in the server or
> the driver.

As far as I'm concerned, it either needs to go in the X server, or
someone needs to release the input drivers that need an xorg.conf
fragment.

And people wonder why I want to merge the drivers back into the
server...

keith.packard at intel.com