libXdmcp is not ready for Windows

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Thu Apr 21 05:12:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> On 18/04/2011 08:00, Vincent Torri wrote:
>> libXdmcp is configured for a Windows build, but:
>>
>>  * recvfrom is defined in ws2_32, which is not passed to linker flags
>>  * WSAStartup is not called
>>
>> i guess that, actually, libXdmcp is not really maintained for Windows
>
> It works fine for cygwin, as socket functions are provided by the cygwin1.dll.
>
> I guess that it also works fine using mingw when built as a static library and
> statically linked into an application which calls WSAStartup(), which is how I
> think it is used by XMing.

ok, so the usual use of X libraries on Windows is to statically link the
lib to the app.

Note that passing -lws2_3 is not sufficient. Libs.private must
have -lws2_32 too so that static linking is correctly done when using
pkg-config.

> If you want to provide a patch to add an appropriate AC_HAVE_LIBRARY(ws2_32),
> that would be great, but without knowing what you are trying to do,

use it with libxcb. libXdmcp is optional in libxcb, though.

Vincent Torri