libXaw3d hosting on freedesktop

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:21:37 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 01:01 -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
>
> Rebased everything on 1.5E and rewrote the autotools files to more
> closely match libXaw. I've never done this before so I'm sure there
> are errors, but the autotools stuff seems to work well. I also split
> out the header files into an include directory to match what other
> libraries do.
>
> Give it a look over. :)
>
> Minor suggestions:
>
> - Mention in the README.XAW3D where the code was imported from. Ideally, it
> would name the X.Org release of libXaw it is the closest to.

Good idea.

> - Consider making a 1.6 release that is strictly porting from IMakefile to
> Autoconf to flush out any porting bugs.

Definitely. That's what I've been planning. Really, I think we should
ban people from xorg-devel@ that suggest adding new features to
libXaw(3d) :).

> Noting that the soname is libXaw, it means to me it is yet another flavor of
> libXaw (like libXaw6 and libXaw7). Has it been considered to have an
> xaw3d.pc file? Only one of the 3 flavors will get installed. Will xaw3d be
> able to handle anything xaw6/xaw7 does?

I'm not sure. Maybe people that have been around X longer than I can
answer this.

Thanks to Rafał Mużyło for a number of autotools and warning fixes.

Thanks,
Matt