XDM: Fix FTBFS with gold or recent gcc releases.

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 20 07:44:18 PST 2011

[ Please CC me, I am not subscribed to this ML ]

Hi,

which toolchain from Debian are you using?

Did you try with gcc-4.5 and binutils-2.21.0 (both from experimental)?
Changelog from [1] says (see also [2]):
"...
* Pass --no-add-needed by default to the linker. See
   http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking, section "Not resolving symbols
   in indirect dependent shared libraries" for more information.
..."

The problems with gold and building X are not new, see "2009-11-02
Packages failing because binutils-gold/indirect linking" [3].

It's currently discussed which toolchain will get into Debian
wheezy|sid release [4].
Might be also a good idea to contact debian-gcc team in this issue?

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gcc-4.5/gcc-4.5_4.5.2-3/changelog
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking?action=diff&rev2=8&rev1=7