XDM: Fix FTBFS with gold or recent gcc releases.

Fernando Lemos fernandotcl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 08:22:41 PST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]
> which toolchain from Debian are you using?

Everything from wheezy/sid, and I'm not using gold. I don't even have
gold or GCC 4.5+ installed.

gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-12)
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.20.1-system.20100303

> Did you try with gcc-4.5 and binutils-2.21.0 (both from experimental)?
> Changelog from [1] says (see also [2]):
> "...
> * Pass --no-add-needed by default to the linker. See
>   http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking, section "Not resolving symbols
>   in indirect dependent shared libraries" for more information.
> ..."

Not really, didn't try that. It actually surprised me because I
thought the DSO linking change wouldn't affect sid for a while after
the Debian freeze, but it seems to be already in place somehow.
Several other packages are failing to link in sid now because of this.

> The problems with gold and building X are not new, see "2009-11-02
> Packages failing because binutils-gold/indirect linking" [3].

Yep, not only X packages, a lot of stuff will break, mostly minor bugs
like this, but there will be false positives as well (lots of things
that use Boost, for instance).

> It's currently discussed which toolchain will get into Debian
> wheezy|sid release [4].
> Might be also a good idea to contact debian-gcc team in this issue?

It could be. Regardless, this bug isn't Debian specific and affects
all distros as they move on to --no-add-missing or gold.

Regards,