1.11 release process (was: [PULL] -next branch for 1.11)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Feb 28 22:37:40 PST 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 21:14, Keith Packard wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:34:54 +1000, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>
>> A number of fixes I've had lingering in my next branch.
>
> I was about to send out a message offering to run the 1.11 release. I'm
> still having fun doing it.

Yeah, and unless someone else wants to take over the stable release branch, I'm fine continuing on as server-1.10-branch manager.  The process has been fairly smooth, so I think running 1.10 like I did 1.9 should be fine, but critiques and suggestions are certainly welcome (and now would be a good time to implement any changes you may be considering).

If nobody objects over the next week or so, I'll update the wiki and calendar with a schedule for the first few 1.10.x releases.

> Concerning the release process, are things going OK? Are there things we
> should change? Shorter? Longer? More release candidates?

1) I'd like to see is a commitment to the schedule in our calendar (or perhaps simply updating the calendar as our schedule updates).

2) I think the early rcs might not have been as well tested because they relied on xextproto and randrproto versions that were not released.  Perhaps we should ensure that we release rc protos along with rc servers where appropriate.

> Do we need more formal rules for merging code? The RandR 1.4 server code
> was merged before the protocol and library APIs had seen sufficient
> review, but we don't have a formal process for either of those
> modules. Anyone know how to help with that? -- We don't have an official
> protocol tree maintainer at this point, although Daniel Stone did
> volunteer to put together another proposal for merging those trees
> together, and if that happened, maybe we could convince him to run a
> couple of cycles as release manager.

Sure.  +1 for dstone. ;)