1.11 release process (was: [PULL] -next branch for 1.11)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Feb 28 22:53:48 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:37:40 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:

> If nobody objects over the next week or so, I'll update the wiki and
> calendar with a schedule for the first few 1.10.x releases.

We have a calendar? Oh, right, a google calendar. I don't use any google
apps myself, so it's hard for me to remember that this shared calendar
even exists.

moinmoin does have a (probably lame) calendar plug-in; perhaps it would
be nice if we used that (too, or instead) so that our web page could
include a visible calendar?

> 1) I'd like to see is a commitment to the schedule in our calendar (or
> perhaps simply updating the calendar as our schedule updates).

When it looks like we've got consensus on the 1.11 schedule, we can add
those dates to that calendar.

> 2) I think the early rcs might not have been as well tested because
> they relied on xextproto and randrproto versions that were not
> released.  Perhaps we should ensure that we release rc protos along
> with rc servers where appropriate.

Do you want to keep X server code from being merged until a suitable
proto RC has been released? Or is it sufficient to have code in the
proto repo that has been reviewed?

> Sure.  +1 for dstone. ;)

He did volunteer to merge the proto repositories together quite a while
ago...

keith.packard at intel.com