TLS autodetection support in the X server

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:46:33 PST 2011

Hi Dan && Eric (et al.),

This thread got close (I hope :) to concluding but didn't quite wrap
up before everyone started going on holidays.  I just wanted to send
a friendly reminder for review && request for ideas on how I can get
something similar to this in.

I've rebased off master and reattached the patches so that you don't
have to go hunting through archives.

Thanks,

-tom

tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu> writes:
> Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> writes:

> > > We shouldn't, I was just ignorant. I'll respin.
> > >
> > > ... and I have. Attached. Both against xorg/xserver this time.
> >
> > Tom, I thought the issue here was that mesa glx would get built
> > with TLS, but xserver glx wouldn't. It seems like what you'd really
> > want to do is get this macro into mesa so it could autodetect TLS
> > capabilities and then use some value from mesa pkgconfig to detect
> > how mesa glx was built.
>
> I tried that, and others pointed out that a TLS-enabled X server can
> load any kind of driver, so it's better to aggressively enable TLS
> there, and then it basically doesn't matter what we do in Mesa.
>
> The patch I sent to do exactly what you say was shot down:
>
>   http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2010-December/004397.html
>
> Julien had expressed interest in getting the X server to do this,
> though.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> I don't have an opinion, really ;)
>
> My lone goal at present is to get Mesa to auto-enable TLS.  I'm
> just trying to do whatever's asked so I can get that in... but it
> seems there is some disagreement within the community as to the best
> approach.
>
> I think it's basically you and Eric A. advocating contradictory
> approaches; if you two could work out what you'd like to see, I'll
> implement it...
>
> Thanks,
>
> -tom

#text/x-diff [0001-Add-macro-for-detecting-thread-local-storage-support.patch] 0001-Add-macro-for-detecting-thread-local-storage-support.patch
#text/x-diff [0002-Autodetect-TLS-support-instead-of-defaulting-to-disa.patch] 0002-Autodetect-TLS-support-instead-of-defaulting-to-disa.patch