xscope: missing xtrans configure check

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Oct 19 22:23:58 PDT 2012

On 10/18/12 10:55 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:35:26PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> I do see it doesn't build without xtrans now - is there some reason
>> that's a useful way to build it?   Should we just make the xtrans
>> requirement absolute?   It's not hard to fix, but since no one maintains
>> the non-xtrans mode, we may go another 5 years after the next time it
>> breaks before anyone notices.
>
> Thanks for looking at it. I don't particularly need it, I just wanted
> to report the build failure.
>
> Actually, I built it with xtrans enabled and tried running an xterm
> against it, but gave up after about 4-5 minutes where nothing
> happened. (xterms without xscope start immediately.) Perhaps I was too
> impatient.

That looks like a bug - I saw it hang in the QueryFont call when I ran
with the installed xscope 1.3.1 on my system, but running with the
local build I have here (1.3.99.901 plus the three patches I mailed
this week) let it proceed fine.   I wonder if it's related to the
BIG-REQUESTS handling bug I fixed in the meantime, or the patch a
bit earlier in git (but still post 1.3.1) from Peter Jeremy to fix
a deadlock when the server or client blocks on write.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com