Present extension name alternatives

Bryce W. Harrington b.harrington at samsung.com
Tue Aug 13 14:25:54 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:02:59PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 08/13/13 01:09 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
> >Present is a noun and a verb (with different pronunciations, no
> >less). As such, it makes a pretty miserable extension name.
>
> Can you remind me what it actually does?  I see several posts on your
> blog describing various features, but didn't see a big picture/introduction
> for those who haven't been closely following DRI3000 development.

It basically provides a streamlined path for getting pixels from the DRI
pixmap created by DRI3, to an X drawable that can be processed by the
compositing manager.  If I've understood keith's blog posts properly...

Essentially, it is an in-X way to solve the redirected direct rendering
problem that Wayland/et al would solve.

Fwiw, if I had a vote I'd say stick with Present, not worth bikeshedding
on.  ('mete' does have a nice archaic ring though...)

Bryce