Present extension name alternatives

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Tue Aug 13 14:55:22 PDT 2013

On 08/13/2013 02:25 PM, Bryce W. Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:02:59PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 08/13/13 01:09 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
>>> Present is a noun and a verb (with different pronunciations, no
>>> less). As such, it makes a pretty miserable extension name.
>>
>> Can you remind me what it actually does?  I see several posts on your
>> blog describing various features, but didn't see a big picture/introduction
>> for those who haven't been closely following DRI3000 development.
>
> It basically provides a streamlined path for getting pixels from the DRI
> pixmap created by DRI3, to an X drawable that can be processed by the
> compositing manager.  If I've understood keith's blog posts properly...
>
> Essentially, it is an in-X way to solve the redirected direct rendering
> problem that Wayland/et al would solve.
>

> Fwiw, if I had a vote I'd say stick with Present, not worth bikeshedding
> on.

Agreed.  Naming stuff is hard.  Often the first thing that comes to mind
is as good as anything else.  Present seems better than any of the
synonyms at least.  There's precedent for using the term present for
these operations that graphics programmers shouldn't get confused.

As another option: EGL uses the term "Post" to describe surface
presentation operations.

PASTE is a pretty cool acronym, but is probably more misleading than any
of the other suggestions :-)

Thanks,
-James