X doesn't search /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules by default?

Colin Macdonald macdonald at maths.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 20 15:06:21 PST 2014

While testing input-evdev, I removed my distro (Fedora) provided
xorg-x11-drv-evdev package and did a "make install" from source into
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules.

I was rather shocked ("hmmm, my machine has working wacom but no
keyboard or trackpoint...") that X does not search /usr/local/lib by
default.  Of course it worked after I added a xorg.conf.d/ snippet:

> Section "Files"
> 	ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> 	ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
> EndSection

But should I have to do that?  Is this a bug or the intended behaviour?

thanks,
Colin

--
Colin Macdonald