X doesn't search /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules by default?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Dec 21 09:59:33 PST 2014

On 12/20/14 03:06 PM, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> While testing input-evdev, I removed my distro (Fedora) provided
> xorg-x11-drv-evdev package and did a "make install" from source into
> /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules.
>
> I was rather shocked ("hmmm, my machine has working wacom but no
> keyboard or trackpoint...") that X does not search /usr/local/lib by
> default.  Of course it worked after I added a xorg.conf.d/ snippet:
>
>> Section "Files"
>> 	ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
>> 	ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>> EndSection
>
> But should I have to do that?  Is this a bug or the intended behaviour?

It's the intended behavior upstream.   Distros could add it, if they define
a /usr/local as part of their install and ensure it's set with appropriate
permissions to only allow root users to install there -- but we can't know
that upstream, and generally don't expect people other than those who build
the server to install modules for it, so don't make it the default.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com