Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases and EDID-based output grabs

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 3 16:41:34 UTC 2017

Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> writes:

> Hm, if you restrict getresources and getplanes, you'll get your leased
> objects query api. Iirc that part was missing in your kernel patch. And it
> gives you exaclty what you want: per-type list of object ids.

Hrm. I think that's one Dave didn't want to restrict so that
applications don't see resources disappear and get confused. But,
perhaps a simple variant of those instead of a completely different API.

> This changes with atomic - without properties you can't change anything
> using atomic. Otoh maybe we just want to add checks on the containing
> object for now,

That's what is already in place -- property setting is always relative
to the containing resource, so we don't need any specific controls on
the properties themselves unless we wanted to restrict queries, which
doesn't seem necessary.

--
-keith