Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases and EDID-based output grabs

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Apr 3 22:07:49 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:41:34AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> writes:
>
> > Hm, if you restrict getresources and getplanes, you'll get your leased
> > objects query api. Iirc that part was missing in your kernel patch. And it
> > gives you exaclty what you want: per-type list of object ids.
>
> Hrm. I think that's one Dave didn't want to restrict so that
> applications don't see resources disappear and get confused. But,
> perhaps a simple variant of those instead of a completely different API.

On the X side we don't want to restrict. But the VR client better be able
to deal with not seeing or being able to use everything.

Also if this confuses VR, then another reason why we want to make leases
invariant and only allow pure revoke, not changing the list.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation