Another protocol repository merge attempt

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 13 23:59:44 UTC 2017

The idea of merging all of our X protocol repositories came up again,
and Adam Jackson asked if I wanted to wait for this before merging my
randr lease/non-desktop changes.

Not really? But, I'm still interested in a merge of the protocol
repositories; we've got way too many, and they're mostly tiny.

Ok, so I gave another run at this, with a slightly different goal. I
want to avoid renaming files as that makes history tracking a bit harder
to manage. So, what I did was find all of the filenames which are
duplicated between repositories. It's a short list:

        .gitignore
        AUTHORS
        autogen.sh
        configure.ac
        COPYING
        docbook.am
        Makefile.am
        README
        specs/Makefile.am
        specs/.gitignore

Then I generated some scripts that would merge in a repo, move the
(potentially) conflicting files to a directory named after the source
repo and commit that move.

Another script to merge the Makefile.am contents and I've got a
repository which installs all of the header files at least. It doesn't
build the docs for anything, and in fact all of the docs are mashed into
a 'specs' sub-directory

I don't know if this is more or less useful than the earlier plan which
placed each extension in a sub-directory; I'm good either way, I just
want to finish this up and get back to more interesting work.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

        git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/mergeproto

This was less than an hours work; if the consensus is 'yuck', you won't
hurt my feelings at all.

--
-keith