Another protocol repository merge attempt

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Dec 14 22:19:48 UTC 2017

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

> [ Unknown signature status ]
>
> The idea of merging all of our X protocol repositories came up again,
> and Adam Jackson asked if I wanted to wait for this before merging my
> randr lease/non-desktop changes.
>
> Not really? But, I'm still interested in a merge of the protocol
> repositories; we've got way too many, and they're mostly tiny.
>
> Ok, so I gave another run at this, with a slightly different goal. I
> want to avoid renaming files as that makes history tracking a bit harder
> to manage. So, what I did was find all of the filenames which are
> duplicated between repositories. It's a short list:
>
>         .gitignore
>         AUTHORS
>         autogen.sh
>         configure.ac
>         COPYING
>         docbook.am
>         Makefile.am
>         README
>         specs/Makefile.am
>         specs/.gitignore
>
> Then I generated some scripts that would merge in a repo, move the
> (potentially) conflicting files to a directory named after the source
> repo and commit that move.
>
> Another script to merge the Makefile.am contents and I've got a
> repository which installs all of the header files at least. It doesn't
> build the docs for anything, and in fact all of the docs are mashed into
> a 'specs' sub-directory
>
> I don't know if this is more or less useful than the earlier plan which
> placed each extension in a sub-directory; I'm good either way, I just
> want to finish this up and get back to more interesting work.
>
> Take a look and let me know what you think.
>
>         git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/mergeproto
>
> This was less than an hours work; if the consensus is 'yuck', you won't
> hurt my feelings at all.

I like that it's just commits and merges instead of filter-branch.  I
think it would make more sense if the headers matched the structure they
are installed into, but that could be a thing we could move later.
Similarly, the Makefile.am is gross, but if it's autogenerated then it's
also pretty believable and easy to fix up by hand later.