gitlab migration (including account update plans, please read)

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 18:30:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-07-02 at 10:23 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> For the first step, I'd like to propose moving the x server git
> repository to gitlab in the coming week, with the switch-over happening
> on the morning of July 9.

This is now done:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver

The old git URLs still work, so this change should be transparent for
existing checkouts. We'll be moving more repositories over the coming
weeks.

Currently the xorg group in gitlab is derived from the pre-existing
freedesktop LDAP group. This is a bit excessive, there's over 250
people in the group in total and not even a fifth of those are
regularly active. If you're both a group member and a project member
the highest privilege level is used; currently, this would mean all of
these accounts are maintainers for every project.

That's not _different_ from the current state of affairs, but since we
now have the easy ability to delegate access control per-project, we
should take the opportunity to prune the list of xorg group
members. These accounts will still exist in gitlab, and if the
contributor returns they are welcome to rejoin. As a totally arbitrary
cutoff I'd suggest pruning anyone who hasn't had an Author or Commit
credit in git in the last, say, three years.

If you want a differently arbitrary cutoff, or have other feedback,
please speak up.

- ajax