gitlab migration (including account update plans, please read)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jul 23 15:23:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 14:30 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> Currently the xorg group in gitlab is derived from the pre-existing
> freedesktop LDAP group. This is a bit excessive, there's over 250
> people in the group in total and not even a fifth of those are
> regularly active. If you're both a group member and a project member
> the highest privilege level is used; currently, this would mean all of
> these accounts are maintainers for every project.
>
> That's not _different_ from the current state of affairs, but since we
> now have the easy ability to delegate access control per-project, we
> should take the opportunity to prune the list of xorg group
> members. These accounts will still exist in gitlab, and if the
> contributor returns they are welcome to rejoin. As a totally arbitrary
> cutoff I'd suggest pruning anyone who hasn't had an Author or Commit
> credit in git in the last, say, three years.
>
> If you want a differently arbitrary cutoff, or have other feedback,
> please speak up.

Nobody did, so, this is done now.

My earlier assertion about the git url not being changed is only true
for pulls. For pushes, you will indeed need to update the remote to the
new URL:

$ git remote set-url origin ssh://git@gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver

Repo moves will be (early) this week. BZ moves for the more boring
components (protocol, libs, apps, deprecated/abandoned stuff) will
follow shortly thereafter.

- ajax