[ANNOUNCE] X Server 1.19.7 maintenance release plan

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Tue Feb 5 01:06:10 UTC 2019

Hi,

Back in early January 2019, I proposed releasing X Server 1.19.7 since there are about 20+ fixes queued in since the previous maintenance release of X Server 1.19.6 back in December 2017.
I did not see anyone objecting to a new maintenance release, so I will like to appoint myself to this task.
Personally, I have never been involved in releasing such a large software package in the past, so I am sure I will need some help in doing this (in fact, I will ask for help very shortly).
Anyway, X Server is an important piece of a FOSS software stack, so even if it is a maintenance release, I do not want to mess it up.
If there are other deserving fixes that should be applied before the release, let me know.
I would imagine that the code should go through a testing phase (1.19.7 RC1, etc.) since I lack experience in handling such a large software package release.
Assuming everything goes right, I expect an official maintenance release around end of February 2019 to early March 2019.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com