xkb_layout documentation

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jan 1 23:36:32 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:41:11AM +0100, Jens Harms wrote:
> Hi All,
> please point me to the current "InputClass" documentatation (if available).

should be in man xorg.conf, not sure there's more than that short of google.

> I tried to configure my keyboard. because setting the option "XkbLayout"
> did not work i was looking at the sources. i did not find any up-to-date
> documentation but found anoying uses of XkbLayout and xkb_layout in
> libinput. evdev is using  only "xkb_layout".

the X server's option parsing code is case-insensitive and ignores
underscores. So XkbLayout and xkb_layout are the same option name, which is
why the libinput driver only parses the latter. Not sure where you found
XkbLayout. git grep shows nothing.

Anyway. The drivers only do on-plug xkb option setting, if you have a
desktop environment like GNOME it most likely overwrites the xorg.conf
settings on login.

Cheers,
   Peter