xkb_layout documentation

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jan 3 00:12:55 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 01:16:22PM +0100, Jens Harms wrote:
> imho both strings "XkbLayout" and "xkb_layout" are ?currently? used. i hope
> i'm using the right repo.

both are currently used, but why we switched from XkbLayout to xkb_layout
evades my memory. Possibly because at some point udev was setting bits here,
but I'm not sure.

> Now i try to checkout what the crazy gnome desktop is doing to my keyboard
> settings, maybe i switch back to fvwm2...

I suggest to tone it down because there's a high chance you will want help
from the people who wrote the code. Throwing words like crazy and annoying
around (doubly so when you're not 100% sure of what the code does) will make
those less likely to help you.

> FYI:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-keyboard/blob/master/src/kbd.c
> : Line 78
>
> #endif /* NetBSD */
>     "XkbRules", "base",
>     "XkbModel", "pc105",
>     "XkbLayout", "us",
>     NULL
> };

the xorg keyboard driver hasn't been used on linux in a decade or so, you
can safely ignore it.

> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-libinput/blob/master/src/xf86libinput.c
> : Line 1040
> rmlvo.layout = xf86SetStrOption(pInfo->options,
> "xkb_layout",
> defaults.layout);

this loads the defaults from the xserver, overriding it with any XkbLayout
or xkb_layout option found in the config snippets.

GNOME hasn't used the xorg.conf settings in a long long time now, it will
apply the user-configured layout on login. that layout is stored in
gsettings and will overwrite anything you set in the xorg.conf.

Cheers,
   Peter