HDMI: Image on TV too dark

Frederik Vogelsang frederik.vogelsang at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 15 03:35:21 PDT 2011

2011/10/13 James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>:
> Some televisions have separate calibration settings for each input.
>
> Perhaps the settings for that hdmi input port are off?
Nope, I've checked all of the TV's settings. Since I am also using
other hardware (Bluray, Xbox, ...) through the AV unit's HDMI ports
and the picture of the other hardware is alright, changing settings on
the TV (permanently) also isn't really an option (I am using the same
HDMI port on my TV for all of the devices connected to the AV unit).

> Or perhaps the AV unit is doing something?
No. Connecting the PC directly to the TV has the same effect.

> Another possibility might be that the format on the wire is off.
> Perhaps the card sends 8bit RGB but tagged as 10bit?  (That would
> make everything look dark.)  Or the av unit passes it through
> with an altered tag.
Can I change the 8bit/10bit stuff on my Linux box? Alex pointed me to
the gamma value which sort of fixes the issue, but this is not the
same, or is it?

> Does it work OK w/o the av unit?
Nope, same issue. I also could not find any setting on the TV which
would improve the situation.

> Does the tv's display or info OSD detail what kind of input it sees
> from the card?
No, unfortunately not.

If the 8bit/10bit RGB stuff cannot be altered, I guess I'll stick with
the gamma setting. Thanks a lot for the great input so far, everyone.

Regards,
 Frederik