HDMI: Image on TV too dark

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Oct 17 12:43:30 PDT 2011

>> Another possibility might be that the format on the wire is off.
>> Perhaps the card sends 8bit RGB but tagged as 10bit?  (That would
>> make everything look dark.)  Or the av unit passes it through with
>> an altered tag.

FV> Can I change the 8bit/10bit stuff on my Linux box? Alex pointed me
FV> to the gamma value which sort of fixes the issue, but this is not
FV> the same, or is it?

Probably not.  One would need to analyze the bits on the (hdmi) wire to
know.  I don't suppose the av unit has any way to display what it sees
on the wire?

BTW, did you post the tv's EDID?  And did you try a simple X11 env, with
just a window manager and w/o gnome or kde or the like?  Maybe something
above X is at fault?

-JimC  (still just brain-storming)